Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Crazies (2010)


The remake of George A. Romero's 1973 classic of the same title sees a small quiet town faced with a pandemic after its townspeople turned insane and violently aggressive due to water contamination. Four people try to make a run to the next town in an attempt to escape government officials who are wiping out the town to stop the virus from spreading.


The movie maintains a watchable enough plot throughout the whole 101 minutes. There are moments where I actually felt the suspense and horror of the four characters and there are some where I just felt lost. There was actually a decent atmosphere of fear when the government officials took people into confinement camps. There were some jumpy moments and when Sheriff Dutten pulled the knife out of his hand, I felt a little squeamish.


On the down side, the plot development appeared rather linear without much, if any, subplots or climax (or probably I missed it). The characters' personas were at times a little inconsistent (it could be intentional to show the effects of the virus). There weren't enough thrilling or horrific moments that will make you jump out of your seat. And truth be told, I was about to give this movie a good rating but the ending (mediocre CGI) really made me minus a mark from my final rating.


Nevertheless, the movie was sufficiently interesting to keep me glued to the screen. The fact that this sort of thing can actually happen (maybe, probably, I dont know) makes it all the more believable and watchable. Worth watching, but no epic stuff.

IN A NUTSHELL
Pros: Very watchable, great sense of atmosphere, the crazies do look crazy | Cons: linear plot development, insufficient thrill, poor ending scene | Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment